join the Grumps
Job Title: Studio Manager
Grumpy Sailor is fast paced, unusual and exciting workplace outputting a wide variety of work, as a result this is a varied and dynamic position.
This particular role is a mix of PA and office management tasks, as well as providing some support to our producing team through responsibilities of light traffic mgmt tasks and our finance team in terms of purchasing and reconciliations. The role is suited to someone full of energy and a can do attitude!
This is a key position in the growth of the studio and the successful candidate must be able to develop strong relationships and coordinate a broad list of tasks efficiently. This person will provide high quality personal assistance to the Directors, keep on top of office needs such as supplies and ordering, as well as supporting the Producers in keeping the studio running smoothly through resource management and scheduling.
This role should not be considered as a way to sidestep into another discipline within Grumpy Sailor; we are looking for someone who can take this role and own it, live it and grow with the company. People with eclectic and versatile backgrounds are encouraged to apply!
- Manage the ever changing diaries of our two Directors, and the wider studio diary
- Book travel and arrange visas when necessary
- Follow up with clients on projects and new business opportunities under the direction of the Directors and the Development Manager
- Organise and attend new business meetings with the Directors and other team members, taking notes and following up afterwards, sending credentials and/or other required documents as requested
- Manage the flow of emails to the Directors, making sure inquiries and meeting requests are dealt with promptly
- Help support in running the studio. This could include but is not limited to ordering office supplies, answering the office phone, setting up meetings, organising birthdays and other studio events, keeping the studio tidy, updating the studio calendar, stock/inventory level of items in the office, asset management i.e laptops, screens, mice, keyboards etc.
- Resource Management: working with the Executive Producer and Producers to update resource booking or resource management documents, entering holiday dates, noting freelance bookings etc.
- Support the finance team by assisting with purchasing and and accounts payable.
- Champion our very special Grumpy work culture by helping to run internal and external Grumpy events
- Versatility, positivity and a general can do attitude
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Mac/PC basic, word processing (we use Google Docs), email (we use Gmail)
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to multitask and be flexible while keeping a positive and upbeat attitudes
- Someone motivated to keep the team happy and engaged through fun events
- Embraces imaginative and innovative solutions: takes measured risks
- Is adept at planning, resourcing & prioritising
While we are open to different levels of experience a studio management history, traffic management history, previous planning or EA roles will be looked on favourably
Please apply with your CV, a cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Paid Design Internship
As part of our agency partnership with RARE Sydney, Grumpy Sailor are offering a 4 week paid design internship. We are after passionate and creative crewmate who is a round peg unable to fit into the usual square holes to join us for a 4-week all hands-on deck internship.
We are looking for the best possible best players for our team, if you think you have what it takes please do get in touch.
Priority will be given to those who attended the RARE SYD Masterclass.
RARE is the brainchild of two of Australia’s leading creative directors, Stefanie DiGiavincenzo of Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, and Tara McKenty of Google.
Being a minority in the creative industries can be tough. Ironic, because our industries pride themselves on unique perspectives and rare minds. RARE is a masterclass to help minorities flourish by arming underrepresented talent with the tools, inspiration and network needed to thrive today and lead tomorrow. RARE is a platform to champion diversity for the good of culture and creativity, the industry and the individual. RARE is not for profit and all proceeds from the course are channelled into activity to support diversity such as internship grants, maternity grants and research.
About Grumpy Sailor Creative
Grumpy Sailor is an agile, creative laboratory experimenting with digital technology and storytelling. We work with digital (physical and screen-based) tools, filmmaking and design platforms and are interested in new ideas, new methods and new platforms. Some of our collaborators include The Starlight Foundation, Google’s Creative Lab, Sydney and Google Australia, The State Library, Art Gallery of NSW, The Australian Music Vault, Punchdrunk theatre, Melbourne Museum, the World Wildlife Fund, ACMI and the Transport Accident Commission.
We strive to make our workplace innovative, experimental and exciting. Quite simply we try to make it a f’n great place to work and so we are very particular about the type of person we let into our team. We look for enthusiastic, collaborative employees who can approach any problem with rigour, a smile and a can-do attitude.
Storytelling, through design and technology is vital to the work we do, so some evidence of an interest in this area would also be looked upon favourably.
Qualifications & Experience
- Evidence of formal training in the design
- Some, but not a heap of industry experience would be looked on favourably
Duties & Responsibilities
- Be involved in the creative communication for the business, in consultation with the Creative Director and team.
- Oversee web design and UI alongside web developers and other specialists.
- Create inspiring, strategic, and innovative ideas for the business and clients that work in a fully integrated manner, both online and offline.
- Maintain brand integrity to best represent the company, visually and verbally and develop company assets including stationary, signage, docs, websites, merchandise, and invitations.
- Create visual assets for projects including but not limited to branding and identity, marketing collateral and user-interfaces.
- Produce and present conceptual sketches, storyboards and/or scamps to best communicate ideas with a strong understanding of the target audience and business strategy.
- Converse with creative, art, copywriting, or production heads to discuss client requirements and present concepts.
- Liaise with external suppliers, i.e. printers and occasionally work with moving image artists to support and oversee the finished product, i.e. video edit, motion graphics.
- Design presentation documents for internal and external client pitches.
Skills & Compentencies
- High level proficiency in design, web and multimedia software and applications, such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to work to a creative brief and show an understanding of the target market and project goals.
- An understanding of user-centered design principles looked upon favourably.
- A passion for digital.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
- Ability to manage time juggling multiple projects.
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude.
- Uses initiative and isn’t afraid to muck in.
- Knowledge of printing procedures, photography, illustration.
- Passionately curious.
- An honest and caring team player.
- Views tough situations as an opportunity to learn.
- The ability to keep a cool head and meet deadlines.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Strong understanding of brand and design continuity.
- Be able to manage time efficiently.
- The ability to think fast and creatively to deliver clever concepts.
- Brief and manage external resources such as illustrators, photographers etc
- Excellent understanding of design principles and disciplines.
- Use of the Google For Work suite e.g. Presentation, Google Docs, not essential but would be looked upon favourably.
- Drawing and sketching skills a plus.
- Understanding of CSS and markup would be a valuable competency.
Please send cover letter, CV, and portfolio to email@example.com by no later than 5pm on 29 JUNE 2018